Yes, really, syn-free dessert! Can’t wait to make this in the summer. I eat mine with a little lemon flavoured Lindahls quark, and 3 mini lemon meringues for 1.5syns from Flower & White (here).
2 tsp powdered gelatin
75ml sugar-free lemon squash
3 medium egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
A TINY pinch of salt. Like seriously, take a pinch of salt and halve it.
1 lemon, tested
- Soften the gelatin in 2tbsp of cold water in a bowl and leave for 5 minutes It will go all clumpy. When it does this, whisk.
- Mix the squash with 250ml of cold water in a saucepan and warm on a medium heat.
- Whisk in the gelatin to the saucepan and keep heating for 2 minutes. Then take off the heat and put to one side to cool.
- While the squash/gelatin mixture is cooling, beat the egg whites and add your tiny pinch of salt to form soft peaks (the egg whites should form a peak when you take the whisk out and then melt back into the mixture.)
- Add the cream of tartar and 2 tbsp of the saucepan mixture to the egg whites. Keep beating until stiff peaks form (the mixture stands up on its own when you take the whisk out.)
- Divide the saucepan liquid into four dessert bowls, or pour into one large serving bowl.
- Top with the egg-white mixture and freeze immediately.
- Top with lemon zest before serving.